&nbsp

6/17/17

I love this country, even though at times it doesn't love me back



  • Part of the reason why I stopped putting my hand over my heart whenever I hear the national anthem is because it represents a history that has repeatedly discriminated people who aren't white, able-bodied, males on a systematic level. Whether that was the three-fifths compromise, the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, the Plessy v. Ferguson court case, the Chinese Exclusion Act, Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act, Trump getting rid of the bathroom rules that protects trans* students, the many accounts of police brutality, and more. It's hard to feel patriotic towards a country that actively tries to get rid of the rights of others. 
  • Since Trump's election, there seems to be a rise in hate crimes. It's discouraging, heartbreaking, and frustrating whenever I'm looking through my social media, and I see whatever injustice just happened. However, I'm happy when I hear about the community gathering around to protest, to sign petitions, share it on social media, donate, march, etc. to protest against the social injustices.
  • It's still a long way to go before we could get rid of prejudice, hate, and oppression (if we ever do fully get rid of it). And that is going to happen long after my lifetime, After all, Rome wasn't built in a day. I just hope that it comes sooner. 
~ Stacy N.

0 comments:

Post a Comment