&nbsp

6/5/17

Late nights leads to deeper reflections

source
As you may not know, I work at a movie theater. One of the perks of working at said place is free movies. However, most of the time I don't bother seeing movies because of a lack of time; tiredness; no good movies that are out during a certain time period; and I'm not a big fan of being at work any longer than needed to be. Plus, I'm more of a bookworm than a movie goer.

And when I tell people that I don't really watch movies in my spare time, they're always surprised. "But you work in a movie theater, and you get to see all the movies for free!"
"True," I say, "but I don't often have the time to go."

This leads to Karl Marx's concept of reification. Reification being where living beings are objectified, in other words, it's another way of saying objectification/thingification, the opposite of personification. If I remember correctly, it was used to objectify people to their jobs (or was that more alienation?). For example, little kids thinking that their teacher lives at the school or how a factory worker is nothing but a figurative robot. In this case, people thinking I'm at the movie theater all the time because of working at one.

It's weird to think about, how you can't help but unconsciously objectify people to their jobs and not see them as fully human. And a suggestion to stop that kind of thinking would be to be aware of it and then see the person working at the counter, behind that desk, and anywhere else as a human being full of thoughts, wishes, hopes, dreams, and wants same as you.
And if we saw the world in that empathetic light more often,  maybe the world wouldn't be so crappy like it is now.

And now the weather:
Hold Back The River by James Bay
~ Stacy N.

0 comments:

Post a Comment