&nbsp

3/3/15

A day at the park

Ants, big and black, crawl onto the black and white picnic blanket. Birds sing their annoyingly, cheerful songs. Cats dream of lazy things. Dogs bark and play, despite the afternoon heat. Eugene and I read, letting sweat gather onto our backs.
Families with tiresome kids, play their tiresome games in the distance. Guys giggle. Hell whispers that it wants its heat back. I start to wonder about Gaffer Hexam’s death. Jitters start to arise within Eugene.
Kites refuse to lift up and perform their graceful dances. Light, twinkling bells, indicating the ice cream cart’s presence, arrive just in time. Me, me, me’s soon replace them. Nauseousness starts to settle in the pits of my stomach.
Oak trees wither. People burn underneath the afternoon sun. Quietness is nowhere to be found. Red stains the pages of my book. Sadness edges its way to my eyes. The tears disappear as soon as they come.
Uneasiness soon captures Eugene in its terrible grasp. Very gently, he pushes it away and continues on reading. Words are not passed between us.
Xanadus whispers to those that are willing to listen. Yells begin again. Zorbing goes on nearby. 

~.~.~.~.~
This was my second attempt at an ABC story. And an ABC story is peculiar prompt that:
  • Must contain exactly 26 sentences. 
  • Each sentence must begin with a letter of the alphabet. 
  • It must go in order. 
  • It has to be a story. 
For example: A dog barks. Bees swim. Cats meow. Deer roam the story. Elephants gather. F... and so on.
It gets harder as you get farther into the story, especially when you try to find words that start with the letter X. But, that's the fun part of it. This prompt really forces you to use your creative juices. And I can now see why, my literary writing teacher decided to give it to my class, on that bright winter morning.

And now the weather:
How We Love by Ingrid Michaelson
~ Stacy N.

0 comments:

Post a Comment